Prayer Requests

PRAYER REQUESTS UPDATED 02/28/14

For more prayer request please check out my Facebook page CPREzra823 Intercession

I am honoured to pray for you. If you wish me to add you or someone you know to the prayer list, or if you have a prayer request, please let me know in a comment or email:
cpr{dot}ezra{dot}8{dot}23{at}gmail{dot}com

--February 22 2017--

Friday, September 16, 2011

Fasting; Should We Do This? Part 1


Health Warning:
You should not fast food if you are diabetic, have health issues or are prone to anorexia. Always consult your doctor before you go on an extended fast and you should always make sure you are taking in enough fluids and salt.
James 5:16 NIV
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. 

Prayer is coming to God in weakness and asking Him, in His righteousness, to intervene for us. When a righteous person prays passionately, God will release His power. The problem is life and the world can get in the way and we tend to focus on self, instead of God. Prayer, combined with fasting, helps us to deny self and forces us to focus on God.

Matthew 17:20 NIV
He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

When should we fast? 

When we feel separated from God. Christians cannot be separated from God because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross but when we focus on self and we feel our heart growing cold towards God, fasting and prayer will restore our passion towards our relationship with God by revealing our love for God in a new light. Food can bog us down and we can feel sleepy and content. Hunger, on the other hand, allows our spirit and our mind to be awake and we are more in tune to God's voice and our conscience is easily aroused by the Holy Spirit's promptings.

Romans 6:23 NIV
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Fasting signifies humility:

By denying our body food and or water, we are humbling our self in front of God and asking Him to provide for us. Saul, after being blinded, fasted 3 days and nights with out food or water.

Acts 9:9 NIV
For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything. 

Demonstrates repentance:

Joel 2:12-13 NIV
“Even now,” declares the LORD,
   “return to me with all your heart,
   with fasting and weeping and mourning.
 Rend your heart
   and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
   for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
   and he relents from sending calamity. 

James 4:8-10 NIV
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. 

Appeals to God for forgiveness and pardon:

1 Kings 16:30 NIV
Ahab son of Omri did more evil in the eyes of the LORD than any of those before him.

1 Kings 21:27 NIV
When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly. 

v28-29 NIV
Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.”

2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV
"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 

The response from God to fasting and praying will assure pardon and restoration from our sinful lifestyle. Even though Christians have the Holy Spirit intercessing for us, if we harbor sin in our lifestyle then what happens is we drift away from Jesus and even though He is still beside us we cannot hear His voice and our prayers, being tinted by the sin in our lives, does not reach God. The Christian walk way is very narrow and few stay on it because it means living separate from the worldly way. In these last days with the media pounding our mind with sexual pleasures, profanities and immoral lifestyles, it is hard to keep to the path of God because our conscience becomes numb. If Christians continue to walk away from God we do risk losing our salvation because Jesus will say, I do not know you...

Matthew 7:21-23 NIV
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

We need to have an active relationship with Him and the only way this can happen is by spending time with Him and the best way to accomplish this is by prayer, fasting and humble submission to Him.

Google Image
To be continued with more reasons for fasting.

<><

9 comments:

  1. Dear Friend....wow, I can't believe this....everything you shared is EXACTLY what the Lord has been pressing upon my heart for the last month, if not longer.....I am so blessed and I consider this post as confirmation for myself, over what the Holy Spirit has been tugging at my heart to do. This is so well written....you expressed in scripture and your own words everything that has been going on in my own heart. PRAISE GOD!! Thank you so much for being His instrument for spreading His truth....I am actually in tears....you have no idea how I needed to read this! Many blessings and much love, dear friend....alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    Emily, from Extending Eager Hands, asked me if I had a post on fasting and I hadn't written one yet, so I decided this was a calling from the Lord for me to write as I have wanted to put up a post but hadn't felt released to do so. I guess I know why now. :)

    I believe, now I may be wrong, that God is calling you into intercession. If so, then fasting will really help you to hear Him clearly.

    I think it is so cool that this is just what you needed to hear.

    Hugs and love,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could do it more.
    My blood sugar drops..
    But I do believe in fasting for prayer. I believe when we deny our physical is when we are so much stronger in our spiritual. I have Fasted and Prayed much in the past and will again.. I love it when I soar in the spirit..it is beyond all. Much love CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal Mary,
    Reading your comment here brought to mind I should put up a health warning. :s I forgot.

    If your blood sugar drops you can always fast with fruit and veggie juice, or it can be a partial fast like no choice foods just bland stuff, which I think is harder to do than a straight out fast.

    Thanks for sharing,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi child of God:)

    will say that it's been way too long since i've fasted and i used to do it often. thank you for posting this reminder....or maybe it's a call from Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sojourner my friend, I have missed you! Nice to see you here. Maybe this is a call out from God, for fasting. I know this is an urgency I have had on my heart for years now.

    Praying you hear Him clearly.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just now saw your response....God is so good! I love how He uses us, as a body, to communicate and bless and speak. Praise God you obeyed what He was calling you to do!!!

    I do have a heart for prayer. In my years of isolation and homelessness, communication with God has been my life-line, my only source of comfort, and my strength ~ it is still my life-line, and being in that solitude. That place of communication with Him is as real for me as my fingers typing on this keyboard....He takes me to a different place, where I see the person I am praying for and He leads my prayers. Sometimes it is just praying the name of Jesus, over and over....sometimes it is holding my hands out and I can feel the person in my hands as I pray for them....it always is something different, something specific...and sometimes it is for a few minutes, but more often, for many hours, days, weeks.... But I know Jesus is so real, so near, so the KEY to finding and knowing God....just a bit of a late night rambling....!!

    Thank you, friend, for being an amazing intercessor, and for greatly blessing my life, beyond words. You have given me an example of how it is I want to live my life ~ in prayer and service to others! Much, much love...alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting about fasting, I'm going to dig into this topic more, and read more carefully your posts on it.

    I only wanted to point one thing out, and I know this is a divisive issue: I think that we cannot lose our salvation, as Jesus said that "no one can snatch them out of my hand" referring to believers. We would be included in the broad description of "no one" unless we are greater than God. I believe those that He does not know are those that never knew Him in the first place, people that had false conversions or simply talked the talk without ever actually trusting in Christ, the wolves, etc.

    I think apostates would fall into that category, too. It's still a new subject to me, but that's what I gather from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alice,

    Thanks for sharing. It is so neat to hear how different people pray. I think it is so cool that you pray with the Spirit leading and you can feel and see the person you are praying for.

    I have a couple of older prayer warriors in my life, they have been a huge influence on me. I am glad that I am passing on the influence to you. :) Hugs.

    Hi Emily,
    Yes, the topic of losing one's salvation is a hot potato. I believe it is the condition of the heart and where your focus is. There are many Christians that truly claim the 'lifestyle' of Christianity but their heart is far from God, they don't have a relationship with Jesus. Christianity is not following a bunch of rules and Jesus proved this by healing and picking grain on the Sabbath, both of these considered to be work. It is about relationship. If we do not have an active relationship with Jesus, I believe, He will tell us He doesn't know us. It is more than just saying a prayer and confessing your sins. Matthew 4:21-23 Jesus tells us who will go to heaven "only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". What is the will of the Father? The ten commandments summed up into two, Love the Lord your God will all your heart, mind and soul, love your neighbour as yourself.
    I believe there are many people who are only going through the motions but their heart is far away from God. I also believe that if you truly do give your heart to God and your have a very rough life, that you will not lose your salvation.
    Study Matthew 7, there is a well of information there.
    It is good to ask questions and this is a tough one. I didn't believe this for many years, then God revealed it to me. Only He can judge and only He will know the condition of the heart and soul. Many people can be fooled, but He will never be fooled.

    Elizabeth Prata could probably give you a better, Scripture, filled answer, you might want to ask her.

    Hugs and love,
    <><

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment, it sure does brighten my day. Please remember to keep the comments God honouring and click 'Subscribe by Email' as I always reply to comments.
God Bless,
<><